Prepare your property!

Posted on Updated on

As an energy assessor I get to inspect a large number of properties, most of which are vacant and looking to be sold or let. Consequently it is in the vendors (or Landlords) interest to ‘make the most’ of the property. Historically this has taken the form of ensuring units are cleared out, kept secure and generally ‘tarted up’ where required. If you were selling your house you would follow a similar regime to assist the sale.

There is however now another major factor that vendors and Landlords now need to consider as part of their marketing preparation, the EPC (or energy performance certificate). All commercial properties now need one if they are to be sold or let, so why don’t people take getting the best rating they can seriously?

This week I have prepared an EPC on a period office building (in Derby), nothing unusual there. But, a high proportion of the bulbs were old style tungstens (the type favoured by Daily Mail readers). As part of my report back to the client I highlighted that changing these all to CFL’s (compact fluorescents) would make a massive difference to the rating which as it stood would be an ‘F’.

Before the change
After the change…..

This being most important due to the changes due in 2018 which would make this property unmarketable if it remained as an ‘F’. This is something that all Landlords need to consider as part of their property portfolio reviews moving forwards.

On this property the change was quite remarkable  – for the cost of around 20 CFL’s (£20?) the rating moved from an ‘F’ to a ‘D’! So as far as this client is concerned the bulb change will be done, the EPC updated to a ‘D’ and the properties long term future secured.

So, in a nutshell, before you get your property assessed give some thought to the simple items you can alter like bulbs and fluorescent tubes – it may save you a lot more than just electricity in the long-term!


3 thoughts on “Prepare your property!

    Osborne said:
    August 29, 2012 at 8:13 am

    Under some leases Tenant’s are responsible to yield-up the premises leaving them in a good and tenantable condition. If a lease expires, say 2019, would this mean that the Tenant would have to undertake works to the property to bring the energy assessment above a F? Surely if the premises were a G prior to occupation then the Tenant would not be liable, or would they?

      Simon Dare responded:
      August 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

      That is a very good question and one which I will pass by my management colleagues to see what their view is!

        Tim GARRATT said:
        August 29, 2012 at 10:22 pm

        I’m not sure this is a simple question )or has a simple answer). A tenant might get caught by the obligations to comply with statutory requirements. But there is then the question of why / when the EPC is required. If it is post the tenants occupation, i.e. triggered by a new letting then I would argue he is not liable….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s